Pesto is Italian for “pounded” meaning it used to be made my mortar and pestle but I love making this uncooked sauce in my mini food processor. It is traditionally basil, pine nuts, parmesan, garlic and olive oil. Now don’t get me wrong the classics are always the best but when you can find other alternatives it’s fun to step outside the box. A while back when I started on my kale kick (eating kale chips every day) I decided I needed to change it up a little bit before it became too monotonous . That’s when I found a pesto grilled cheese on Pinterest but saw the pesto was made with kale. And it was perfect. So I made an even bigger batch to freeze for later.
- 2/3 c. almonds slivered
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 4 c. kale leaves ie remove stalks
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2/3 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place almonds and garlic in bowl of food processor. Pulse until it resembles a coarse grain.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until it is the consistency you like. Add more olive oil for a smoother sauce.
- Store in fridge or store in freezer until ready to use.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Adapted from: The Perfect Pantry