How about we start closing out the work week off with an easy side dish like this Broccoli Gratin?
Oh man I feel rejuvenated. A weekend at the farm for our anniversary and then this past weekend Mama and I took our annual mom trip to Fairhope. So to say I have a had a good couple of relaxing weekends has been an understatement.
With a couple more weeks of cooler weather (I mean hello I woke up and it was 32 degrees the other day) I figured I needed to hurry up and send this Broccoli Gratin recipe out to yall. Don’t forget I threw you guys off a few weeks ago when I posted the BBQ Chicken Chili recipe and it ended up being in the 70s that day. One day I’ll figure this weather thing out.
Until then let’s get one more broccoli dish in. Now whoever doesn’t think broccoli and cheese go together – my recipes are probably not for you. Because I mean Lauren and cheese are like PB&J. So of course I have cheese in my broccoli soup and broccoli salad. And that will not change for this Broccoli Gratin.
I ended up doing a little research on the difference between casserole and gratin. The latter is usually baked with a crust on top – either cheese or breadcrumbs and is normally a side dish, where as a casserole is generally a baked dish and can stand alone as a meal. Turns out I do have a few casserole recipes and only one gratin (now two).
Do you have a preference casserole or gratin?
- 5 cups broccoli torn into florets bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked to a desired crispness and chopped
- 1 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place broccoli on sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so smaller pieces don't burn.
- Remove from oven.
- In large bowl combine the broccoli with the remaining 4 ingredients, only using 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
- In an 8x8 baking dish prepared with cooking spray, add the broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until bubbly and top is golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand for several minutes before serving.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!