Yes, I know this was a weird title for my post, but if you have been following me on Instagram or Twitter you probably noticed these hashtags have been on a lot of my posts lately. For the obvious reason…I am “back in the kitchen”. And it is the best feeling ever!
Which not to segue too far but every time I hashtag something now it makes me laugh because explaining what a hashtag is to my anti-social media husband is hilarious. PS I have actually convinced him to get instagram! Mainly because he gets jealous of all the pictures he misses out on of our sweet niece and then for the obvious reason of wanting to see pictures of hunting dogs.
But sorry back to the food. This was the first dish I recipe tested when I was ready to try out some new things. At the same time I wanted to keep it simple for fear of not having cooked in 2 months. Of course diving in back to cooking meant Mexican.
The best things about this dish is the prep work consists of cooking the chicken and throwing everything else together. Super simple right? And also if you have leftovers, the next night just make tacos by adding some other toppings like brown rice and avocado!
See in the recipe for some options to cut back on the calories also.
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 - 4 oz. can green chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook chicken and onion in olive oil for 7-9 minutes until cooked through.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to a large mixing bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients except cilantro.
- Add to greased baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Menu for the WeekBaked Ravioli Caprese Burgers Apple Bourbon Pork & Green Bean Almondine with Herb Butter