You need these BBQ Sweet Potato Chips this instant. And then after you devour them I know you will make them again on Sunday for the Super Bowl. Trust me!
It’s no secret – I love football! I refused to have my wedding during college football season. I do live in Alabama for Pete’s sake and trying to coordinate between Auburn and Bama games is almost impossible.
And now after living up in Indy for a few years I now love NFL. I’m excited to cheer on the Panthers who have a few Auburn players and actually a Samford grad too!
But if you knew me when I was younger you would have never known these things to be true. My parents told me I actually hated sports so much that my aunts and uncles gave me a gag gift (we do these things every year) of ESPN magazines.
Picture a huge box under the tree – every kids dream only to be let down by sports. Supposedly I cried a lot after it.
Well luckily that little girl has now grown up and even sometimes plans her days around football. Getting everyone together to watch the game itself though always leaves me an excuse to make a boat load of chips, dips, and appetizers.
And it’s no secret one of my favorite things in life is cheese dip. Well these BBQ Sweet Potato Chips might make it a tie. Seriously!
BBQ Sweet Potato Chips with Gorgonzola Herb Dipping Sauce
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
Gorgonzola Herb Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Using a mandolin slicer, slice sweet potatoes on thinnest setting.
- Fill a heavy pot or deep fryer with about 3 inches of oil. Set over medium heat until thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Mix together all spices to make BBQ Seasoning.
- Add chips to hot oil in batches, frying for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the chips are crispy, using a slotted spoon remove the chips to a baking sheet lined with a paper towel and cookie rack to drain off excess oil.
- Sprinkle with BBQ seasoning and toss well to coat.
- Continue with all sweet potato slices until finished, making sure not to pile chips on top of each other to make sure they crisp.
- While the chips are cooking, prepare the sauce by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Gorgonzola until fully melted. Add herbs and stir until fully combined. Serve warm with chips.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!