These Maple Glazed Donut Holes are super easy! Who knew making donuts at home could be quick and so much fun?!
Guys I’m so excited today we’re throwing a surprise baby shower for Cate! You know the “always hungry” girl behind Chez CateyLou. So I guess you might be wondering how a group of talented food bloggers are throwing Cate a shower? Well the way we do in true blogger fashion. Virtually, of course!
So surprise Cate this is for you and your growing family!
You all should know by now I love babies! I mean my blog is 75% food and 25% babies. Well maybe I should say 20% so my other half can take some of the credit. So you see I just can’t wait to see motherhood on Cate!
I found Cate’s blog a couple of years ago and fell in love with these cake batter puppy chow and these baked blueberry donuts. Hence, the reason we are here today babies and donuts! Cate loves donuts – I mean she has only 13 recipes on her site!
And my contribution today happens to be these lovely Maple Glazed Donuts. So let’s get down to business. I had never made a donut before in my life. (GASP!) Now before that steers you away from these little bites of perfection. You can ask all the family members who tried them and I even brought them to my mom’s Bible study. I think they were all quite impressed (or so they claimed).
The donut batter is whisked together easily by hand – you heard that right no need for a mixer. The center is fluffy and doughy like you want it to be with the outside a little crisp. And the glaze…well you know the saying “finger lickin’ good” – I have stepped it up a notch and said “bowl lickin’ great”. I may or may not have licked the bowl after each batch that I made…
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – one of the things I love the most about food blogging is all of the great friendships I have made. So I felt incredibly blessed when Allie and Zainab asked me if I wanted to shower the new mother to be! So pass around some more love and scroll down to see what everyone else has made to bring to this Virtual Baby Shower for Cate!
Maple Glazed Donut Holes
For the Maple Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
For the donut holes:
- 5 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
Make the glaze:
- In a bowl sift the powdered sugar (sifting will decrease the lumps in glaze). Then add in melted butter and maple syrup. Stir together until mixture is smooth. Cover and set aside while you make the donuts.
Make the donut holes:
- Pour vegetable oil into heavy bottomed pot (or fryer). Heat until 350 degrees is reached.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and if available place a cooling rack on top to allow oil and glaze to drip off.
- In one bowl mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl whisk the milk and egg together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry. Then add the butter until a soft yet thick dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon scoop dough into a ball and drop in fryer* in batches. You do not want to overcrowd.
- Fry the donut holes for 2 minutes on one side until deep golden brown and an then use a pair of tongs to flip and fry an additional minute. (Fry a little less if making smaller donut holes).
- Using a slotted spoon remove the donut holes to the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with any additional dough.
- Then one by one dip the donut holes into the glaze** and return back to the rack. Serve warm.
**If the glaze has hardened too much for the donut hole to be glazed - zap the glaze in microwave for a few seconds.
Donut hole recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Baked Dark Chocolate Strawberry Donuts – Club Narwhal
Baked Lemon Donuts – What Jessica Baked Next
Biscoff Donuts – Baking a Moment
Chai Donuts – Fresh April FloursChocolate Cake S’mores Donuts – Jessica in the Kitchen
Chocolate Pretzel Donuts – The Emotional Baker
Coconut Matcha Donuts with White Chocolate Glaze – Blahnik Baker
Coffee and Donuts Breakfast Bake – The Cookie Rookie
Doughnut Tiramisu – bethcakes
GF Lemon Donuts with Raspberry Glaze – Thoroughly Nourished Life
Maple Glazed Donut Holes – Hall Nesting
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake Donuts – American Heritage Cooking
Paleo Chocolate Frosted Donuts – A Clean Bake
Raspberry Jam Filled Cupcakes – gotta get baked
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Donut Breakfast Sandwich – Shared Appetite
Strawberry Margarita Oreo Donuts – Life Made Sweeter
Baked Mini Samoa Donuts – Culinary Couture
Donut Holes with Sweet Strawberry Dipping Sauce – Twin Stripee