I am always trying to think of side dishes to make when I do a pasta dish. When I saw Giada De Laurentiis Grilled Vegetable, Herb, and Goat Cheese Sandwich I thought I would do a spin off of Eggplant Parmesan meets her sandwich. This dish goes perfectly with my fettuccine bolognese or would be fine by itself!
Recipe Card love it? rate it!
Eggplant & Goat Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 eggplants sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 eggs beaten
- Extra shaved parmesan or goat cheese to top
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 1 c. Panko
- Sprinkle of salt
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- *Filling for sandwiches:
- ½ lb. Goat cheese crumbled melts better
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Parsley
- *Tarragon & Basil Marinara sauce:
- 3 c. canned Crushed tomato
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Tarragon
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- In saucepan heat oil, add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tarragon, salt, garlic powder, basil and sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 25-30 min.
- While sauce is cooking, combine panko, parmesan cheese, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl put the beaten eggs.
- Heat oil in frying pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dredge each eggplant slice in eggs then breading mixture.
- Place eggplants in frying pan. Fry on each side about 2 minutes or until golden brown and then flip. Do this in batches (adding more oil if needed).
- Place each eggplant on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Place eggplant on greased baking sheet. Put 1-2 Tbsp. (depending how big eggplant slices are) of goat cheese on top of half of the slices of eggplant. Top each with another eggplant slice. Bake until cheese melts, 10 min.
- Put about ¼ c. marinara sauce on sandwich sprinkle with either goat cheese or shaved parmesan- your choice! Top with fresh basil or fresh parsley
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Menu for the WeekWinter Squash & Pumpkin Pasta with Sage & Brown Butter Fried Green Tomato Shrimp BLTs Asian Meatballs & Fried Rice Dessert: Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Mousse
Want more Easy Recipes From Home?
Make sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. And leave your questions and reviews below!