Asparagus is finally popping up in our garden so I have to start preparing recipes to use those bad boys – like this Spring Chicken Panini.
Ya ya I know I just made a Spring Vegetable Pizza but what can I say? This weather gets me excited. Honestly, I love every time a new season starts. And not just the spring kind of season – I mean seasons of life.
I can’t believe in one month my baby boy will be 3! We are full under way planning a construction themed birthday party. So our coat closet is full of yellow caution tape, hard hats and construction signs. Trouble is trying to explain to a toddler he cannot play with any of it for two more weeks until his party.
Also if you don’t have a panini press you need one! It is one of my favorite kitchen tools. And with it I make amazing sandwiches like this one.
If you need one more reason to try this sandwich – my two picky eater toddlers devoured it. I of course didn’t tell them it was full of protein and had two green veggies in it. Some things like that are better to keep to yourself. I mean they just thought it was a chicken grilled cheese – which it is, right?
Spring Chicken Panini
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded chicken*
- 1/3 cup spinach leaves loosely packed (10-12 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons shaved asparagus ribbons**
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the honey mustard sauce. Spread mixture on one side of bread.
- In another small bowl combine the ingredients for the pesto mayonnaise. Spread mixture on other slice of bread.
- Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, followed by spinach, asparagus, chicken. Top with slice of provolone followed by other slice of bread.
- Preheat grill pan to medium heat or panini press until ready. Grill for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and press down with another pan to add weight. Or if using panini press until it signals it's done.
**Using a vegetable peeler, peel asparagus into ribbons
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!