Back in Birmingham we would have dinner parties all of the time. That is one of my favorite things in the world to do. Even when John and I would go back to GA to see my parents we would generally have a supper club/ game night at our friends house. So why wouldn’t it be the same up here?
Pictures updated June 2015
Like I mentioned before, every Wednesday night two of John’s coworkers (also originally from Alabama) come over and I cook for all of us. Our Wednesday night supper club was a little different a few weeks ago though. Most of the time I will have an appetizer for the guys while I finish cooking, a couple of sides and an entree. And now that I have gotten into baking (still shocking to me) so they also get a dessert.
But last time the guys did most of the cooking which was great but I didn’t know what to do with myself, so I asked if I could at least prepare one dish to help out a little. So I made Fried Green Tomatoes to go along with the Red fish Josh & William cooked and Jalapeno Shrimp Skillet John cooked. They also are really good with crab cakes!
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 5 green tomatoes
- 1 ½ c. cornmeal
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. flour
- Slice green tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices
- Combine cornmeal and paprika into one bowl, buttermilk and egg into another, and flour into another.
- Dredge tomatoes in flour, dust off. Then put in buttermilk mixture, let soak for a minute.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Then coat tomatoes in cornmeal mixture.
- When oil is hot, carefully place a few slices into the pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the temperature of the oil will drop. After you get a golden crust, about 3-4 min and Flip and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and repeat with remaining slices.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Fried Green Tomatoes Four Ways