A couple weekends ago I woke up extremely early (I know, surprise surprise) but 5 AM on a Saturday is unusual for me. I couldn’t fall back asleep, the dogs and John were still heavily sleeping so I got up decided I’d begin my normal weekend routine…make my chai tea, wash a few dishes, watch some recorded shows, then fall back asleep on the couch. Well I did all that but to no avail I could not fall back asleep.
So I decided to bake. Why? I have no idea! But I did. And I needed something to snack on for breakfast because my stomach was starting to growl. I was trying to decide if I should make biscuits knowing that John would love waking up to them but I wanted something else. To be honest I wanted to bake some Herbed Cheddar Stout Bread but the thought of opening up a beer that early in the morning – even though it wasn’t to drink it did not settle with me.
I wanted the combination of sweet & hearty and this zucchini apple bread was exactly what I needed! Good thing I made two loaves because by the time John got up he ended up munching on quite a few slices.
Zucchini Apple Bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini 2-3 medium zucchini
- 2 apples grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take shredded zucchini and pat dry with multiple paper towels to remove some of the moisture,
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Crack 3 eggs in a bowl and whisk. Stir in oil and vanilla. Mix in zucchini and apple.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add zucchini mixture to dry mix. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Add to loaf pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, 55 minutes to an hour.
- Let cool for 20 minutes. Then slice and serve.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!