Crack open a beer or two – one for you to drink and one for these Beer Battered Fish Tacos with a fresh Avocado Corn Salsa and Chipotle Sour Cream.
Pictures updated October 2015
Remember back to Beer Month and I had all of those amazing recipes with beer? Well the biggest hit with the boys were the beer battered onion rings. And even though beer month is over cooking with it never is!
For Memorial Day weekend John went fishing with his aunt & uncle and caught a ton of bass at the family farm. We haven’t been eating a ton of seafood up here because let’s be honest Indiana is not as close to the water as we would like. With all the fish they caught, the first night we grilled them, and the next night all I could think about were fish tacos. Which is weird for me because when I was a kid I hated seafood.
But the first time I ever had fish tacos I believe was one weekend when I came home from college and Mama & I decided to play around with a recipe. We went to Harry’s Market and got some halibut, coleslaw, asiago cheese, and a maple chipotle sauce mixed with mayonnaise. Isn’t it funny how a little memory like that stays with you forever?
Beer Battered Fish Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa
- 1 pound bass or another white fish, cut into 1-2 inch wide x 4 inch pieces
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 earns of corn husks and silks removed (or 1 can of corn)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 bottle of beer
- Vegetable oil for frying
Prepare the Salsa
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and corn for 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in bowl with olive oil, lime juice and cilantro. Mix together. Let chill for one hour.
Prepare the Crema
- Add sour cream, chipotle pepper, and lime juice to the food processor. Pulse until fully mixed.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet or deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl. Add in beer. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Soak the fish in the batter.
- Fry the fish until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- While the fish is frying, take the salsa out of the fridge and stir in diced avocado.
Making the Tacos
- Lay out the tortillas flat and spoon some salsa, followed by a piece of fish and dollop of the chipotle sour cream.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Menu This Week:
Dessert: Poached Pears