According to my calendar Fall officially begins today.
Photos updated February 2015
Opening day of football season is when it officially starts for me. John and I kicked it off with going to Dallas. Some people know of Fall when Pumpkin Spice Lattesare on the menu at Starbucks, even though in the winter I always prefer hot apple cider. Besides those fall to me is …
Tailgating on Saturdays watching Game Day & cheering on the SEC and my Auburn Tigers!
Now in my family this chili is known as Joe’s chili – because it was actually the first chili I ever cooked by myself. And it was John’s best friend Joe who taught me how. But with the combination of corn and black beans and tomatoes in my mind it’s a fiesta kind of chili.
Some people love cheese in their chili and some don’t. We all know how I feel about cheese! So John and I put a spoonful sour cream on top and lather on the shredded cheese. This chili is a combinaton of sweet and spicy and gives the range to change it to be a little more sweet or a little more spicy – whichever you prefer. Sweet for my mama and spicy for John.
And let’s not forget you always need some cornbread with it to make it complete!
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers chopped
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 can on fire roasted tomatoes with juices
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 can of black beans rinsed & drained
- 4 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 3 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 c. dark brown sugar
- Sour cream optional
- Chives optional
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese optional
- In large dutch oven, sauté onion and green bell peppers until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef. Cook until fully browned.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Let simmer on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally (more if you have time).
- Taste and adjust seasoning if you want it more spicy or sweet.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle some chives and cheddar cheese.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Want more Easy Recipes From Home?
Make sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. And leave your questions and reviews below!