If I could bottle up the aroma that was in my house last week I would almost wear it as perfume. Well not really but the smell of this dish is that good. I got this recipe back in May from Foodie Pen Pal Cara. This was actually the first time I had ever cooked a full pork shoulder. The original recipe came from The Pioneer Woman.I decided to add more of a spice rub to the dish to give it more of a Texan flair, and reduce the chipotle peppers & Dr. Pepper (since I am not the biggest fan of the soda, yes I know this is a main component). I was pretty impressed with myself and how it turned out. And what’s even better is all I had to do was throw all the ingredients together and pop it in the oven for a few hours while I worked around the house. John was also pleased with the meal, I mean what husband wouldn’t be with a huge plate of meat? Next time we thought of adding a little bit of bourbon to keep things interesting. Enjoy!
Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
- 1 whole Pork Shoulder/pork butt - 5 To 7 Pounds if you can't find this I have also used 3- 2 lb ones that worked just as easily
- 1 whole large onion quartered
- 1/2 can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce add whole can if you like a lot of heat
- 1 small bottle of Dr. Pepper 20 fl oz
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. all spice
- 2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Peel onion and cut into 4 pieces. Lay them in the bottom of a large dutch oven.
- Add the spice rub to the pork - work it into the meat, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.
- Add the chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Add in can of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar.
- Place lid on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for six hours. Check meat every two hours and use tongs to flip it . After six hours; it should be falling apart, use two forks to see if it shreds easily. If it's not falling apart, return to the oven for another hour or so.
- Remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat. Discard fat pieces. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!