So we spent yesterday buried underneath snow. Well not technically but I’d call it that since it was a blizzard with 11 inches of snow on top of 4 inches already there. The temperature was -11 degrees with a windchill of -36. Are you shivering yet because I am just thinking about it. I was all bundled up inside. But one thing that did make me warm was soup.
I have realized it’s a three way tie between my favorite soups: Tomato Basil, French Onion, and Mushroom. A while ago when my mama was visiting, we went to a little restaurant called Kitchenette where they had the most amazing Creamy Portobella Mushroom Brandy Soup. So that inspired this dish. Enjoy!
Pictured with Baked Quail with Garlic & Herbs
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms brushed clean, stems removed
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms brushed clean
- 1 pint of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon. brandy
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, saute for 8-10 minutes until translucent.
- Add all mushrooms to a food processor and finely chop.
- Add mushrooms to pot. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Then add stock, thyme, and salt & pepper to pot. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cream and brandy to pot then simmer for 4 minutes. Garnish with chives.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Menu of the WeekMexican Pie with Poblano Strip Salad Asparagus Soup with French Onion Grilled Cheese French Toast with Fruit Salad
Comments & Reviews
Christine @ Cooking with Cakes says
I’m with you girrrl, I buy pre-sliced anything whenever I can!! no shame in saving time 🙂 this looks great!
Sophia @ NY Foodgasm says
This recipe sounds delish, I heart the brandy! Ohhhh yeah I am all up on that shit!