Who doesn’t get excited about tossing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl with a smoky southwestern vinaigrette?
When one of my coworkers asked for a vegetarian entree option a while back I remembered how few I have here. Even quite a few of my salads have meat in them. Obviously this is not a bad thing, but remember I am married to a hunter.
Last time I made a vegetarian dish for us, John was very pleased. And again when he tried this Southwestern Quinoa Bowl he gave it two thumbs up! So from now on I am going to try to add more meatless meals to our menu rotation.
As you saw last week with the salsa recipe I can usually only go only 1-2 weeks without Mexican food. And then when you have 27 days until Cinco de Mayo I get a little giddy. Don’t judge me that I am keeping count.
But there’s always a big shin dig going on at our house for it! And this Southwestern Quinoa Bowl is the perfect option for those who want a vegetarian option or one that is not covered with lots of queso. Or just be like me and enjoy both!
Southwestern Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Smoky Southwestern Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- Pinch of cayenne
- Cook quinoa according to directions.
- Whisk together all ingredients of the vinaigrette and set aside.
To Make the Quinoa Bowls
- Divide the black beans, corn, peppers, feta, avocado, quinoa and cilantro into two separate bowls.
- Pour in as little or as much vinaigrette as you would like. Toss to combine.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!