How are we over halfway through January already?
I was planning on ringing in the new year with this Black Eyed Peas, Collard Greens and Sausage Pizza or what I like to call Soul Food Pizza. But let’s be honest I reminded you that it’s my busiest time of year for work so it’s a little hard. And then we lost my dear Granddaddy last week so I have not really been on social media or up to blogging. Oh and to top it off I also just got over the stomach bug.
All that being said I then had to remind myself of my new word for the year – refresh! So today is a new day – it’s a new year!
I had this pizza about a year ago at a restaurant called Slice in downtown Birmingham. I thought wow what a crazy combination of things on a pizza – but I thought heck who from the South doesn’t love some soul food? I’m talking collard greens, bacon and black eyed peas…oh and let’s not forget some of my favorites Conecuh sausage and white cheddar cheese.
Last year during this time I shared this Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup. I was deciding between making a Black Eyed Pea Salsa or this pizza. But you know my kids and how much they are obsessed with pizza. So even this is supposed to be a dish for New Year’s Day (ie the Southern good luck for the year tradition) but I am pretty sure that it will be excellent for any time of year.
Soul Pizza Pie
- Pizza Dough homemade or store bought
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese used 8 oz. block
- 1 cup Conecuh sausage cooked
- 3 thick slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 15 oz. can of black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup diced red onion about 1/4 of large red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh collard greens roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or according to package directions). If using a pizza stone place in oven while preheating. If using a baking sheet spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together olive oil and dried parsley.
- Spread dough on stone or baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 of the sauce on pizza.
- Sprinkle on white cheddar cheese, followed by sausage, bacon, black eyed peas, and red onions.
- Bake 18-25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Toss collard greens with the remaining sauce.
- Top pizza with greens and serve.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
Comments & Reviews
This is such a creative flavor combination for pizza! Can’t wait to try it!
What a great way to encourage my kids to eat a few new foods by keeping it familiar with pizza…which they LOVE! I can use all the luck I can get all year long!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
I am a huge fan of pizza! I also love to try all kinds of flavor combos on my pizza. This is a very creative recipe! Can’t wait to try this one.
Love this flavor combo and I’m a huge fan of black eyed peas!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
My family would LOVE this pizza!! YUM!
This is a unique combination of flavors, but I love them all. Pizza is a weakness of mine 🙂
Jacque Hastert says
I will have to give this pizza a shot.