Spice up your lunch or dinner routine with these delicious and healthy Avocado Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps! These wraps are filled with juicy chicken, fresh avocado, crunchy walnuts, and flavorful lettuce for a unique and tasty meal. Perfect for a light, nutritious lunch or dinner, these tasty chicken lettuce wraps will be a surefire hit with everyone.
Chicken salad is absolutely one of my lunch favorites. I like to keep things light, yet satisfying, and anything that requires minimal cooking is a win in my book! Of course, you can make these chicken wraps for an easy dinner, too; I particularly love meals like this in the hot summer when I don’t want to heat up the kitchen.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD LETTUCE WRAPS TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
What kind of lettuce makes the best wraps?
This recipe calls for Bibb lettuce, otherwise known as butter lettuce or even butterhead lettuce. The lettuce leaves are sturdy, yet flexible, and are the perfect texture for this meal.
If you can’t find butter lettuce, you can use Romaine lettuce, red or green leaf lettuce, or even iceberg lettuce to make these chicken wraps.
When is my Avocado ripe?
It can be hard to tell when an avocado is ripe. Don’t go just by color, as the color can vary. Still, a ripe avocado will have dark green to near-black skin.
A ripe avocado also has a bumpy texture, so feel it and avoid using a smooth one.
Finally, ripe avocados should yield to firm, gentle pressure. It should not feel mushy or leave indentations when squeezed (those are overripe).
Another good way to tell if an avocado is ripe at the grocery store is to peel away the stem cap. If you can remove it easily and you see green on the avocado then you’re good to go and it’s ripe. If you struggle to remove it, then it isn’t yet ripe.
Or if you see the stem tip is brown, it’s best to leave that one at the store because it’s past its’ prime.
Avocado Chicken Salad Ingredients
This recipe is full of fresh ingredients and flavorful herbs! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 ½ cups cooked, shredded chicken – I like to use rotisserie or grilled chicken
- 1 large avocado, ripe
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 ½ tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Bibb Lettuce
How to make Avocado Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
These simple lettuce wraps come together quickly and easily!
- Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl. Save time by using shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store! Or, cook up some boneless skinless chicken breast meat and use that.
- Combine avocado, garlic, mayo, mustard, agave nectar, herbs, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add 1/2-1 tablespoon water to get the texture of a creamy dressing.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir to incorporate evenly. Add walnuts. Refrigerate the chicken salad mixture, covered, for at least 1 hour for the best taste.
- Place a heaping 1/4 cup in the center of each piece of Bibb Lettuce. Wrap and serve.
Is this Avocado Chicken Salad healthy?
This recipe is full of healthy fats and protein. Serving it in lettuce cups also helps keep this recipe low-carb. With these lettuce wraps, you can be confident that you are making a good choice in your healthy eating journey.
How to store leftover Chicken Salad Wraps
Lettuce wraps can be stored in the fridge after assembly for up to two days. Store them in a bag or other airtight container.
The chicken salad mixture also keeps well in the refrigerator on its own for 3-4 days. You can assemble a fresh wrap when you’re ready to eat.
Can you freeze lettuce wraps?
Lettuce wraps can be frozen but may be a bit watery when thawed. If you want to freeze this recipe to serve later, my recommendation is to freeze the avocado chicken salad by itself in a freezer-safe bag or container. The lemon juice will prevent it from browning.
When you’re ready to serve it, just let the chicken salad thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and the next day you can serve it on fresh lettuce wraps!
More Delicious Salad Recipes
If you love a good salad like I do, check out some of these recipes:
- Apple Chicken Salad is an easy recipe loaded with crunchy apples, pre-cooked chicken, and salad greens. Every bite is packed with flavor and texture, and this fresh, healthy salad is perfect for potlucks.
- Chicken Artichoke Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes might be the easiest salad you ever throw together!
- Stone Fruit and Radish Salad– Every bite has a little peppery and a slightly sweet note. Mix that with some of your favorite stone fruit, and you have one refreshing summer salad.
- Salmon Panzanella Salad– perfect with some creamy Vidalia Onion dressing!
Other Light and Tasty Lunch Ideas
Try one of these delicious meals next time you need something new for lunch:
- Spring Chicken Panini
- Caramelized Onion, Bacon, and Gruyere Quiche
- Beef, Fig, and Goat Cheese Sandwich
- Mediterranean Wraps
Avocado Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Bibb Lettuce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken*
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon can substitute 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl.
- Combine avocado, garlic, mayo, mustard, agave nectar, herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor/blender and puree until smooth. Add 1/2-1 tablespoon water to get the texture of a thick sauce.
- Pour sauce over chicken and stir to incorporate evenly. Add walnuts. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour for best taste.
- Place a heaping 1/4 cup in center of each piece of Bibb Lettuce. Wrap and serve.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!
This post was originally published 3/22/18. It has been updated in format and with pictures on 3/2/23.