I think the first time I had apple butter was at Cracker Barrel when I was little. And once I found out how easy it was to make I have it in our fridge at all times!
Originally posted July 1, 2012.
Fall is officially here! I know this because not only was it 43 degrees yesterday but I started pulling out the wardrobe to make it official. I love all things fall – the beautiful leaves, college football, apples, pumpkins, sweaters & boots, chili, my birthday…oh wait was I rambling on and on?
I found out when we first moved up here there was an apple orchard somewhere in southern Indiana. John objected and said it was more of a family with kid kind of thing to do…well Johnny boy we have a kid now so it looks like we are going to the orchard this fall.
I see apple pie, fall sangria, apple arugula salad, apple stuffing in our near future. Oh was I rambling again? I guess you can say this girl is excited about some apples.
There is nothing better than tossing apples and a few other ingredients into a slow cooker and letting it do it’s job.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- 3 pounds apples* peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients except apples. Place apples in slow cooker and cover with sugar and spice mixture. Toss well to fully cover.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours, occasionally stirring until thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and cook for 2 more hours.
- Turn off and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, allow mixture to cool until warm then pulse in blender until smooth.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @easyrecipesfromhome for more easy recipes!